Hi there! Welcome to Fintel Library, the intellectual center of Roanoke College. This guide is meant to help get you started with your academic research. The tabs to the left will direct you to helpful information and links. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to contact a reference librarian here.
Here are 10 things to know about Fintel Library:
- Fintel Library’s reference desk is a top destination on campus. Our friendly librarians are ready to assist you all day long and some evenings with your research and library-related questions. Need help in advance? The Library offers reference appointments for in-depth assistance, and the reference appointment form is available on the Library’s website.
- The library holds a lot of space for your studying needs- there are seminar rooms, individual study rooms, study carrels, comfortable tables and chairs, and the second floor is a quiet study floor so you can really concentrate. There are printers on the first and third floors that are connected to the campus computer labs so you can run in and print what you need.
- Fintel Library offers a shared library catalog with Hollins University, which means you can borrow items from Hollins and they will be delivered via a courier to the Library’s Lending Services desk. Place your request through the online catalog by 10:30 am and your request will be here the same day after 1:30 pm.
- Obviously the library holds a lot of books that are available for check-out- but what else can you check out? By using your Roanoke College identification card, you can check out books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, music manuscripts, laptops, camcorders, digital recorders, projectors, and bicycles.
- The Center for Learning and Teaching is housed in the library. On the Ground floor is Peer Tutoring which is a Nationally Certified Program through the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA). All tutors must receive two (2) letters of recommendation from the faculty. Additionally, they are all working to become Nationally Certified Tutors by completing ten (10) hours of training and twenty-five (25) hours of direct client contact. Subject Tutoring takes place with one-on-one tutoring sessions in thirty (30) minute intervals, Sunday - Thursday, 4 - 9 P.M. The Writing Center is also located on the Ground floor.
- Rooney's Brews is the Library coffee shop, and it is owned and operated by Dining Services. Rooney's Brews not only offers delicious coffee and other unique beverages, but also muffins, cookies, and sandwiches made with love.
- The Archives are located on the ground floor, and they hold some precious resources, such as the papers of Henry Fowler, Secretary of the Treasury under Lyndon B. Johnson, rare items such as a copy of the 4th ed. Martin Luther Bible, and college materials dating from the founding of the College. These resources are available for student use.