Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Subject Tutoring is a great place to learn and to work!
Subject Tutoring at Roanoke College is one of over a thousand college tutor training programs recognized world-wide with International Tutor Training Program Certification (ITTPC) through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). ITTPC requires a standard of learning and assessment that ensures students who visit Roanoke College’s Subject Tutoring receive academic assistance from a highly trained and professional staff of tutors.
Roanoke College’s Subject Tutoring received Level I ITTPC in 2010, requiring all tutors to receive 10 hours of training and log 25 hours of direct student contact before becoming a Certified Tutor. In March of 2017, Subject Tutoring earned Level II certification, requiring an additional 10 hours of training and a minimum of 50 hours of direct student contact before being awarded Advanced Tutor Certification.
Hours & Pay
Subject Tutoring offers a flexible work schedule and competitive pay with the opportunity to earn more with experience:
Tutors can pick a schedule that works for them within our hours of operation, which are Sunday through Thursday 4:00 to 9:00. Tutors typically begin with 5 hours on average per week.
First Semester: $9.50
Level I Certified Tutor: $9.60 (often earned by second semester)
Level II Advanced Certified Tutor: $9.75 (potentially earned by third semester)
- Must receive an A or B in the course (4.0 - 3.0)
- Must obtain two letters of recommendation from relevant faculty members
- Must be responsible and reliable
- Must be relatable and empathetic
What Subject Tutors Can Add to a Resume
- Explained course-specific content to students who needed tutoring assistance
- Maintained confidential student records
- Worked with students to identify areas of weakness
- Analyzed student comprehension to develop learning goals
- Broke down complex problems to accommodate different learning styles
- Utilized methods of learning to assist students at different levels of accomplishment
- Strong ability to model problem-solving techniques
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Became an ITTPC Certified Tutor in 2021
- Earned Advanced Tutor Certification in 2022
Applications & Forms
If interested please submit an application as soon as possible.