Dietary Guidelines & Websites from other Organizations
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) -- generally follows USDA guidelines
- "The Balanced Diet" - article from the ADA's journal DIABETES FORECAST (May 2011)
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) -- cites Dr. Neal D. Barnard's studies
- PCRM "Sustainable Power Plate" -- 2015
- PCRM's "Dietary Guidelines"
- PCRM's lawsuit against the USDA DGA. See also article in Washington Post (2-15-11)
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics -- Press release re: the 2015 DGA
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics (formerly the Amer. Dietetic Assn.) Homepage
- American Academy of Pediatrics "Dietary recommendations for children and adolescents" (2006)
- U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) -- Optimal dietary intake: the basics for sport, for life (2010)
- Livestrong.com -- Search for: MyPlate; links to several resources and tools
- Canada's Food Guide (2011)
- Egg Nutrition Center's "Build a Healthy Plate"
- Food-Based Dietary Guidelines (2009) - from the United Nations FAO (Food & Agriculture Organization) - select a continent, then open the drop-down box to select a country. [NOTE: Each Guideline is in the official language of that country.]
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) - Dietary reference values and Dietary guidelines
- Food Day: Promote healthy diets - Food Day is Oct. 24, created by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). This website has links to: Harvard School of Public Health's Nutrition Source [& their HEALTHY EATING PLATE], Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity, Kick the Can, and more
- Harvard "Healthy Eating Plate", and article about the "Healthy Eating Plate"
- Peoples Pharmacy (radio show #991) New Dietary Guidelines (May 2, 2015)
- Wheels, pyramids, and plates: USDA struggles to illustrate a good diet (NPR, 2016)
BOOKS available from FINTEL LIBRARY
FINTEL LIBRARY DVDS
1. Forks over knives (2011) -- [96 minutes] -- traces the pioneering research of Drs. T. Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn that "food as medicine" is preferable to "the surgical knife" ; a totally different FBDG than that of the FDA's MyPlate & MyPyramid.
2. Eat right: using MyPyramid (2006) -- [24 minutes] -- examines the 2005 version of the USDA dietary guidelines & revised Food Pyramid.
3. Junk food wars (2005) -- [30 min.] -- a guide for children to the 2005 revised Food Pyramid, and teaches about reading food labels
BOOKS TO INTERLIBRARY LOAN
search for: MyPlate; or for the Author: T. Colin Campbell, or for the Author: Esselstyn
SEARCH FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - FINTEL LIBRARY "DISCOVERY BOX"
1. Enter into the Search Box: MyPlate - and click Search button
Click "Refine Search" then Click "Advanced Search"
Change "And" to "OR", then enter: usda dietary guidelines - and click Search button
Use Left Sidebar options to focus your search (by dates, or Scholary Peer-reviewed, or Subject Major-Heading, or Geography, etc.)
Consider using the bottom Search Box: "And" then enter: critical* or criticism* or critique*
2. Search for National Dietary Guidelines from other countries
3. Search for Dietary Guidelines from other professional medical/health associations or health organizations
try these Keywords when you search the "Discovery Box"
(Consider searching: "national dietary guideline*", or (Australia and "dietary guideline*), or ("New Zealand" and diet*), or "Swiss Food Pyramid", or "food guide pyramid", MyPyramid, NonPyramid Food Guide, "Eating 4 Health", food-based-dietary-guidelines, FBDG, food guidelines, dietary reference intakes, nutrition rainbow, etc. )
try a different database/search engine:
(Last updated: 1/12/2017)